1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Owner of 2024 TRD OffRoad Premium from Colorado - First things to do?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by legend1011, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:30 AM
    legend1011

legend1011 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium (No KDSS)
    My wife and I pulled the trigger this Saturday 4/13 on 2024 White TRD OffRoad Premium (Moonroof and No KDSS).

After window-shopping the 5th gen for years, I feel the news of the 6th gen gave me the final push I needed to live a little and retire our old 2001 Infiniti QX4 that we have owned for 10 years (just over 209,000 miles). The new 4Runner is definitely our dream SUV.

We drove it off the lot with 7 miles on the dash. We have just over 85 miles on it now showing family and friends.

I have never owned a new vehicle (always older vehicles 10+ years old). I find myself extremely paranoid now :D. We plan on keeping this vehicle for the long term.

First order of business for me is to find out the best things we should do with the new vehicle. I would like to explore the following options:
    1) Catalytic Converter Shield
    2) Paint Protection (I don't want to get out of hand with this with expensive ceramic coating options, but anything that is budget/value friendly to keep the Paint in great shape - we plan on doing roadtrips and I want to see if there is a temp vinyl protector I could put on nose/hood to help with road dust)
    3) Frame protector (wool wax, fluid film, etc... We live in CO and not sure if needed?)
    4) Seat Protectors (canvas back, weather tech, etc... We are Golden Retriever people and want to explore all options to protect the Interior from puppy scratches and dog fur. Regular use of a shopvac will be a thing for us)

Eventually we would like to tint the windows and add the black overlays, but those can wait. We want to enjoy the vehicle as it is and don't plan to do any big mods anytime soon.

Other than me using the forum to research the items mentioned, is there anything else that you would recommend I consider doing? I've never had a brand new vehicle before.

I appreciate all the tips and look forward to being a regular user on this forum. Thank you! (I will update with pics when I get a chance)

2. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:37 AM
    wax poetic

wax poetic New Member

Member:
    Arizona Desert
    Vehicle:
    21 Super White TRD OR
    Tires and congratulations!

chuckem12 likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:49 AM
    Midway24

Midway24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground TRD ORP 4Runner
    Not yet.
    Congrats!

I also picked up a new 24 this last Saturday. I’ve already ordered rock rails,TRD skid plate, and new K02 tires. Luckily, the 4Runner came with full tint. This is going to be fun and expensive :spending:

Attached Files:

4. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Welcome

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  5. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Congratulations and looks like you made the perfect decision for reliability.

1) Catalytic Converter Shield - I got MillerCat Cat shield and its paper thin. Worst thing I've put money on, or rather waster money. May be products like RCI full skids with catshield protectors a better choice. I think other companies have similar. I haven't looked.

2) Paint Protection - I haven't done this except my Venza had paint protection film and it became yellowish after 5 years. It came from the dealer, so not sure if its good quality as a good tint shop product.

3) Frame protector - I never found anything in CO. I'm around Centennial.

4) Seat Protectors - I use Amazon generic ones in back seat and cargo area and so far holding up for my German Shepherd.

tint the windows - (if you are around Centennial) Tint my ride on Parker rd, Denver has few good products to check out.

black overlays - I didn't like them personally as at night it didn't look good.

"don't plan to do any big mods anytime" - I always had good luck selling new factory tires off Facebook market place and buy good A/T tires with 3 peak snow rating, imo is a must here in CO. I normally get $500 for 5 tires. (I change all 5 tires). Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs are amazing in winter but noisy to my taste. Toyo Open country are my fav now. Many other options shared by members here, search around. I use discount tire and so far they were good and price matched any major tire place including Costco.

Amazon dog covers I purchased-

Cargo cover - https://amzn.to/3Q4WynI
    Barrier- https://amzn.to/43YkYFa

(When she was a puppy I used)

Door protector- https://amzn.to/49Cb6C4
    Seat Cover - https://amzn.to/3JoTxus
    (Now it's protecting from my kids food and drinks)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    EODTRD and TimGinCentralNJ like this.
  6. Apr 15, 2024 at 11:00 AM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

7. Apr 15, 2024 at 12:47 PM
    DangitDad

DangitDad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    3"/2" Ironman lift, Method 703 wheels, K02's, Pedal Commander, more to come
    Welcome from WY!

8. Apr 15, 2024 at 1:05 PM
    BS67

BS67 New Member

Member:
    CC Ne
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Welcome!

9. Apr 15, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    legend1011

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, I appreciate all of the responses.

My wife and I are going to use up these entry tires first, but our plan is to maybe purchase a 2nd set of Rims for Winter Tires. We are a big fan of the Cooper tires we had on our QX4 and I plan to check if those are made in the sizes of the 4runner (I imagine yes)

I was looking into the Talon brand, but the Cali-Rated have caught my eyes. I like that they are separate pieces, but not sure how thick they are and if they will keep a sawzall away

I'm not sure at this point either. I do know I want to research products to use that are temporary for our long roadtrips. I recall seeing there was a clear vinyl kit that is used for such purposes. My wife and I plan on taking this on roadtrips across the country at some point.

I was planning on looking at Fluid Film or Wool Wax. Maybe a DIY coat every other year or so. My QX4 had a lot of surface rust that seemed more cosmetic that anything. I think I would be extremely paranoid if we were in the NorthEast (I'm a bit obsessive).

I recall seeing Canvas back made a good product. I look forward to re-searching this once I get the first few things knocked out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check them out. I have always used lower priced tint shops for my rides because they were old and used, but I want to pay for a better long-term product for this vehicle.

Thank you! I will check all these out.

10. Apr 15, 2024 at 2:30 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Welcome. It’s nice to be excited about the new 4Runner!

I have a RCI transmission skid with cat guards. Super easy to put on and looks like it will be a deterrent. They usually run a promo for free cat guards with trans skid purchase. Give them a call, they’re really easy to work with.

For interior protection, the canvas back liners are amazing and fit well. They are slick for the pups, so laying down a blanket helps.

I also recommend a good quality ceramic tint on all windows, including the windshield. Shop the installer and not the price. Getting the best tint from a crappy installer will not make you happy. You and your pups will thank me later.

If you hate the sight of rock chips, then pay for a good quality PPF on all of the high impact areas. Again, shop the installer and not the price. A good PPF installer is worth their weight in gold.

Besides all of that, enjoy your new rig!!!

11. Apr 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    Welcome to the forum. If possible try to keep it garaged.

Enjoy!

12. Apr 15, 2024 at 4:01 PM
    JET4

JET4 New Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    welcome

13. Apr 15, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    java

java fauxrunner

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP ice cap
    scoopless hood, debadge, rci skid, hf gun case...
    debadge

14. Apr 15, 2024 at 8:15 PM
    BGH2023

BGH2023 Luvs his 4Runner

Member:
    Front Range of Komarado
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Get a screen protector for the radio. Well worth it. I ordered and applied POR and then wool-wax on my frame. Skid plates from RCI over in Loveland for mine too. Tires and wheels when ya can.

IMG_8627.jpg

15. Apr 15, 2024 at 8:37 PM
    brodeyo

brodeyo New Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2024 Black TRD Pro
    RCI Skids Sliders, Wescott Designs Lift
    I did RCI skids and their Catalytic converter shield was free. Pretty good quality.
    Haven't done paint or frame protection. I did get a WeatherTech seat cover for my dog. It's terrible and doesn't fit as expected. I've heard good things about the Carhartts. Tinted windows on list.

16. Apr 16, 2024 at 2:56 AM
    Steely123

Steely123 What's the new trend? I'll do it!

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner SR5 premium
    Welcome

17. Apr 16, 2024 at 4:42 AM
    Jere39

Jere39 Rattlesnake Trail - Sproul SF

Member:
    Sky Island, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5 MGM
    Share a picture

18. Apr 16, 2024 at 4:50 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    I’d skip seat protector. The material is pretty rugged and I doubt seats would go bad anytime certainly not how quickly leather seats would. I would recommend upgrading suspension. I found non kdss version to be too soft so I put 5110s. In my mind ppf is worth it but ceramic coating is not, but it’s also a personal choice. Wife has it on her vehicle I am ok with not having it.

19. Apr 16, 2024 at 5:09 AM
    Pavementprincess24

Pavementprincess24 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD OR premium
    Welcome from Cincinnati!

IMG_3166.jpg

Perry1060 likes this.
  20. Apr 16, 2024 at 5:53 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Welcome and congratulations!

I would get it coated underneath ASAP.

Then.....I would let your brain fantasy with your dream build and go slow and methodically enjoying every change along the way. Learn what the truck does on a stock form and then you would appreciate the changes. Enjoy it!

Ironguy and Perry1060 like this.
  21. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:30 AM
    Perry1060

Perry1060 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Smart choice and congrats. 5th gens are flying off the lots in the Phoenix area ever since the new glorified 6th gen golf carts were unveiled. I am watching 3 dealers and absolutely none in stock any longer - for the TRD off-road premiums...

22. Apr 18, 2024 at 5:46 PM
    legend1011

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just placed my order for Cali-Rated Cat Shields. I will install myself.

I reached out to a Tint my Ride on PPF and Window Tint at the end of the day. I will price them out, Thank you! I'm still exploring the idea of installing pre-cut PPF (Xpel) myself, but not sure if it's beyond my skill set.

I'm considering Wool Wax for under the entire car and Fluid Film for inside the Frame. I will DIY this. I know I need to avoid Exhaust and Rubber components, but is everything else fair game? Seems very odd painting the beautiful white paint at the bottom with the Black Wool Grease :D

I appreciate all the info, Thanks!

23. Apr 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM
    BillF6531

BillF6531 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2024 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium - Silver

24. Apr 20, 2024 at 10:49 AM
    BillF6531

BillF6531 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    I bought one in silver a week ago. It's my fourth 4Runner. 2&3 definitely. Paint protection film - 3M, Xpel, etc., on front, partial hood, mirrors, windshield pillars, strip above the windshield, and behind the rear mudflaps. Krown undercoating if you have it in CO.

25. Apr 20, 2024 at 12:07 PM
    legend1011

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are you from CO? If so, where did you get your PPF installed? I’m shopping around for quotes now. I haven’t driven it in almost a week! I won’t until I get it installed.

I’m waiting for the weather to warm up so I can spray wool wax (clear) on the bottom of it myself.

26. Apr 20, 2024 at 12:21 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    First thing I purchased for mine was a neoprene center console lid cover. 2nd mod was the center console organizer tray.

And as a fellow dog owner, the little coin slot in front of the shifter fits a new roll of poop bags perfectly.

27. Apr 20, 2024 at 12:56 PM
    BillF6531

BillF6531 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    Not in CO. I update my profile to show my location.

28. Apr 24, 2024 at 8:52 AM
    legend1011

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I am getting the truck tinted today. 114 miles on the Dash.
    15% Ceramic all around (to match) and 70% Ceramic on windshield.

My wife isn't sold on the PPF. We were quoted $2,000 from the same shop for the entire front end and $900 for a partial front end (with line on hood / fenders) - All XPel. Personally, the dealbreaker for me is having to reapply this stuff in 5-7 years, but I do see the value if you have the money for it and I would like the peace of mind. I may consider using Xpel's temporary TrackWrap for the long roadtrips as a middle ground. If the bumper/hood gets too bad, we can always re-paint down the line.

I will post my first pic as soon as I get a chance. Thank you!

29. Apr 24, 2024 at 12:35 PM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Welcome from Denver! :cheers:

30. Apr 24, 2024 at 12:53 PM
    wing2

wing2 New Member

Member: