1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Look to buy 2024 4Runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Yinzer73, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Apr 15, 2024 at 8:45 AM
    Yinzer73

Yinzer73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hello All.

I am looking to buy a 2024 4Runner Premium or Pro. I am new to the 4Runner but do have a 2nd Gen Tundra.

What I am trying to find out is what is the major issues I should be aware off.

Better yet, what are the "I wish I knew about that prior to buying" thoughts you have after you got yours.

Truck will be used 90% of the time on freeway/surface roads with times in the SoCal desert and mountains.

Cheers!

2. Apr 15, 2024 at 8:59 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    I would wait until 2028. First year issues. Second year production fixes. Third year should be better.

3. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:01 AM
    Yinzer73

Yinzer73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    the 2024 is the last year of the 5th gen is it not? That is why I am thinking of getting this MY. Totally agree with your info above as I am seeing what is happening with the Tundra's now.

4. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    Your right brain spasm. I was thinking 2025.

Yinzer73[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:17 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    There is a comparator on Toyota's website that might help you understand what things are/are not available on the models you're considering.

6. Apr 15, 2024 at 9:58 AM
    MEski4x4

MEski4x4 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Pro
    I went with a 24 PRO and I'm glad I made that choice. Perfect for my needs. I don't find the TRD exhaust loud at all (neither does wife), and the Fox shocks ride great.

Yinzer73[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:10 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    If you really are going to buy this years (outgoing model) there really aren't any gotchas. After 15 years its very well thought out and most any issue has been fixed by now.

Consider if you really want the Pro or not. I did mainly because I like the extra creature comforts inside and like the pro wheels much better... but the pro exhaust drove me nuts and I sold it to a guy and put the stock one on. Other than that I love it as does everyone in the house.

I came from a 2nd gen Tacoma FWIW so the cabin, layout, even the way the engine/trans responds was very familiar. The only thing I would point out for you coming from a tundra is that if you where doing any serious towing be away the 4Runner is rated a lot lower.

8. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    Yinzer73

Yinzer73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    I have heard that about the exhaust with the Pro. I plan on keeping the Tundra. Great truck with less the 80k on the Odo. I figured that after all the years on the design, it is a pretty good platform.

I plan on testing out both with the wife there as it would be more her daily driver, and if she is not big on the sound may sway the difference between the two.

9. Apr 15, 2024 at 10:38 AM
    Go Birds

Go Birds New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 ORP
    Can't really go wrong with any model of the 5th gen. Just be aware that MSRP (or slight markup) is sort of the going rate for Pros, while $3-4K below sticker seems to be where ORP's are at the moment. So, figure a $10-15K difference ultimately, depending on if you opt for KDSS in the ORP. That makes the ORP the better value proposition up front, although the Pro will likely retain its value slightly better due to marquee status. If JBL audio, dual zone climate control, Fox shocks, TRD catback, TRD Pro wheels, TRD front skid plate, TRD roof rack, Toyota grill garnish, and Pro badges are worth the difference to you, go for it. Life is short. Do what makes you sleep best and smile most.

TimGinCentralNJ likes this.
  10. Apr 15, 2024 at 11:32 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    If you like everything BUT the sound, don't be afraid to go for it. You can buy the stock exhaust parts from any Toyota dealer and its maybe an hours work at most to swap it over. only a couple bolts and a bunch of rubber hangers to pop off. Lots of people out there looking to put Pro parts on their rigs, I sold mine on Facebook marketplace in a matter of days for almost what the stock one cost me.

Yinzer73[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 15, 2024 at 12:42 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Save money and skip the pro bro. TRDP is just as good for less. Mileage sucks, they don't tow and there's cargo space but no storage.

Yinzer73[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 15, 2024 at 3:41 PM
    legend1011

legend1011 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium (No KDSS)
    In Colorado this past weekend, my wife and I bought our TRD OffRoad Premium with $3k off MSRP. Could have maybe fought for more, but I was grateful they had the exact model and configuration we wanted (exact trim, color white, no KDSS and with moonroof) in stock. We liked our sales rep and the finance person. No Complaints for the wife and I, we are happy.

They did tell us that 10 5th gen's sold that day! I imagine there is more pressure to scoop one up now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Yinzer73[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 15, 2024 at 4:15 PM
    Yinzer73

Yinzer73 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In SoCal, there are very few of them on the lot (at least the ones near me), most are in build phase or in transit. Supposedly next weekend there will be both a Pro and Premium. Looking to see the main differences between the two and see what happens.

14. Apr 15, 2024 at 5:48 PM
    legend1011

legend1011 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 White 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium (No KDSS)
    I will say that I'm very happy we went with the TRD OffRoad Premium over the Pro. I feel it's enough truck, but I've never had a 4runner before. This truck feels like a major upgrade over our 2001 Infiniti QX4.

In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't try to get the maximum deal and just pulled the trigger (would have hated to play hardball only to walk out and have it scooped up by someone else). I know markets vary, but $2-3k off MSRP isn't too bad on a highly sought after last year model. I'm thankful. Good luck on your search!

Yinzer73[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 15, 2024 at 5:55 PM
    Noodles

Noodles New Member

Member:
    For 90 on highway I would choose street ties like Pirelli. Better ride, quiet, improved fuel economy but still goes through some trails especially when you air down. Pick one with auto AC so maybe a Limited. The AC fan can be loud but the flow is weak. Especially in the second row.

16. Apr 15, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    H1M72

H1M72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD PRO
    Bought 2 weeks ago
    IMG_1742.jpg

MEski4x4 and Yinzer73[OP] like this.
  17. Apr 16, 2024 at 2:01 PM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    Soon to be 4Runner owner
    Hey GB-

Any "real life" pricing observations on the '24 Limited you can share? They seem a lot less sought after than the OR/ORP/Pro but I have zero insight into whether that also means dealers are pricing them below sticker, and if so--how much below.

Thanks,
    TimG.

18. Apr 16, 2024 at 2:24 PM
    Go Birds

Go Birds New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 ORP
    Limiteds can be had for $3-5K under. Hell, maybe more. The dealer a mile away from me currently has 8 T4Rs on the lot: one red ORP (sticks out like a matador's cape when I pass by) that's been there about two weeks, three SR5s that have been there for days to a few weeks, and four Limiteds (three white, one black) that have sat there for a couple of months.

The hierarchy of demand/availability for 5th gens seems to be Pro, ORP, SR5P, SR5, OR, Limited. I think people looking for real leather appointments and 20" wheels often cross the street to the Lexus dealer to get in a chassis design newer than 15 years old (or look at Highlanders).

19. Apr 16, 2024 at 5:08 PM
    oaouda

oaouda New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    California
    What's the price difference that would make choosing the ORP over the SR5P4x4 a more financially sound decision? There are many ORP and hardly any SR5P 4x4 here in Southern California. Thanks

20. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:09 PM
    H1M72

H1M72 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD PRO
    2 sticks in the offroad. Turn dial 4wd in the sr5 premium. If your never going off road get the sr5 premium

oaouda[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM
    Go Birds

Go Birds New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 ORP
    If you'll never use CRAWL control, MTS, MTM, or rear locker and don't care about KDSS as on option, then the SR5P would be the right move. With premium and moonroof on an SR5P 4x4, you're at $48.3K sticker. An ORP with premium and moonroof is $50K on the nose ($51.8K w/ KDSS). Not as much difference as I thought. Man, for a <$2K difference in sticker, I'd stick with the ORP all day. Assuming you can get $3K off sticker on an ORP, I think I'd want something like $5K off of an SR5P 4x4 before I'd consider it. Just personal preference. I do use the rear locker once in a blue moon. Never used CRAWL in battle, only in practice. I freaking love MTM. The birdseye 360 view makes parking a snap. No sensors needed.

oaouda[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:23 PM
    Noodles

Noodles New Member

Member:
    What’s the name of the dealer?

23. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM
    Noodles

Noodles New Member

Member:
    You can do lot of off roading with SR5P. Plus you can get 3rd row.

24. Apr 16, 2024 at 6:29 PM
    Go Birds

Go Birds New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 ORP
    Hertrich (Milford). I will personally never buy a vehicle from them. They were the kings of the "market price adjustment" and screwing over customers. I drove an hour and a half to Ourisman 40 in Maryland to buy my ORP last April. $3K off sticker, no games, while Hertrich was at $3,999 market adjustment. $7K difference. F U

My salesman at Ourisman40 was Charles. Super nice guy.

I've found Maryland to be the sweet spot in my area. They and N. VA dealers give decent discounts, but VA dealer fees are insane (~$1,000) while MD is usually $500 or less. The local yokels here on the Delmarva Peninsula are none willing to deal, so I only window shop here.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  25. Apr 16, 2024 at 9:31 PM
    HazOpRed

HazOpRed 22' TRDOR

Member:
    I wish I didn't buy my 22' and bought a 4th gen v8. I might even sell mine to a buddy. Anything that isn't a v8 is soooooo boring and a pain to drive so far. I like my obs Ford flareside more lol. So I guess I am telling you to buy a GX460. Topher on Youtube got his for $10k off, so almost the same money ($54k if I remember right)

26. Apr 17, 2024 at 5:04 AM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    Soon to be 4Runner owner
    You know...I keep trying to like the GX460's body and I just can't do it. The lines are just awful IMO. For some reason it reminds me of someone taking a shitty Chrysler minivan and adding a "luxury" coachworks travel/camper package to it, making the roof taller than it should be. Now the GX550is a different story but I don't have that kind of cheddar.

TimG

27. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:11 AM
    Go Birds

Go Birds New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 ORP
    Same here. Those integrated steps and all the other body molding and bad approach angles just seem like a huge disappointment. Granted, if you find one old and cheap enough, you can fix all of that without feeling too bad about turning a luxury ride into a purpose-built machine.

28. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:18 AM
    HazOpRed

HazOpRed 22' TRDOR

Member:
    I know it. But bumper were invented to replace that god-awful cheesegrater grill. I just found that I have more of a preference for the engine now, and less what it looks like. I will get that 4th gen one day

Go Birds[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:25 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I think you got the right generation. All you need is good tires and a driver on any of them. They all do same thing at different prices. I would like a 2wd for everyday simply because it should last forever. I could have paid cash for a new one but I learned hard way it's a waste of money on 4runner and I worked for Toyota years ago and I know where the value is now. I don't want a perpetual payment and I like having $25k extra. I would like a Pro, especially the TRD Walmart Pros here that never have dirt on them. I might get one in several years used. I think a lot of people like to look like they are going off road more than really are.

30. Apr 17, 2024 at 6:34 AM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Early 5th generation had a V8 for a few years I believe. 2010 is first timing chain year. I think. Probably best V8 they made. A nice rear gear ratio would have been better too with a 6sp auto and I think I would be in mid 20 mpg. I read old V6 Highlander gets better mileage than the turbo 4. A 4runner isn't really made to tow much and shouldn't have 3rd row seats. The problem created with common platform sharing. it seems a 4cyl might only be good for pulling greasy strings out a a cat's a$$. It's not about mileage or pollution now, but the size of your CO2 pump to sell the climate change lie.

dcdrums502 and HazOpRed[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top